Kroton Hela Wigmen refutes a glaring media report about spectator violence

The Kroton Hela Wigmen has issued a statement refuting a story published in the Post Courier today about spectator violence yesterday after the Digicel Cup rugby league grand final.

It said it was “an isolated incident that cannot be used to discredit what is an outstanding 2019 Digicel Cup competition, an entertaining finals series, topping off with a spectacular grand final on Sunday.”

“An isolated incident by opportunist cannot tarnish the name of the club or sponsors and the Digicel Cup Competition.”

Though the report did not impute any blame on the club for the violence, the Kroton Hela Wigmen has apart from refuting the story distanced itself from the violence.

“What happened between spectators within National Football Stadium are within the jurisdiction of of the venue management to take note of and appropriate fines and actions to be imposed.”

They have blamed the media for exposing this violence and urging the media to report on other “positive” stories.

“There are positive stories from this game, which hasn’t been written like people walking the Bulldog Track and Kokoda Track to watch the grand final in Port Moresby.”

READ  Immigration and Border Security Minister concerned about investigation into fake visa production

“People walking kilometers to get a glimpse of the TV Wan signal to watch the game in the places like Menyama and Askiki in Morobe Province and Levani Valley and Lake Kopiago in Hela Province and all thought PNG on Sunday.”

Without denouncing any incident it also shifted blame to journalists: “It’s unfortunate that journalist are so quick to put a negative spin on an isolated incident and continue to make PNG a very unsafe place with the negative media propaganda.”

“The Kroton Hela Wigmen were gracious in defeat. No punches were thrown by the players or the officials for the entire 80 minutes.”

“Rugby League won at the end of the day.”

“Both Kroton Wigmen and Snacks Tigers are represented by players all throughout PNG.”

Post Courier reported that a woman was stripped  and assaulted by opportunists outside the stadium.

The woman (named) was set on by a horde of men and stripped naked outside the Boroko Post Office as she was heading to her car, it reported.

She was almost sexually assaulted but was saved by members of the police dog unit and their K9 team.

The police unit officer said: “Straight after the full time at NFS, the game, opportunists that gathered outside the gate began preying on those coming out of NFS.”

Vehicles were reported to be stoned.

Fashion Designer Natasha Tamanabae also reported on her Facebook page yesterday she had over 50 dents on her car, a broken wiper and four different sets of footprints on her bonnet and roof.

“My dad, cousin and little brother were trapped inside the car while stoned…..and ran over by a stampede of angry supporters at Boroko this evening (Saturday) while driving home,” she said.

READ  Assistant Commissioner of Police arrested and charged

She however queried: “Who can we charge for damage caused by this NFS grand final game?”

090919 BFPNG

090919 BFPNG

Be the first to comment