Latest posts by Press Release (see all)
- National Coordination Office for Bougainville Director dies - March 8, 2021
- A bit of humour by Sir Michael with Australia - March 5, 2021
- Sir Michael Somare launches Helifix Maintenance Facility and leaves an imprint - March 4, 2021
The 28th SP Sports Awards (SPSA) was launched today in Port Moresby after the event was temporarily suspended in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
This year, the annual prestigious awards will recognize sporting achievements from 2019 to 2020 and for the first time ever, the event will be staged virtually on EMTV and via social media.
The theme for this year is Excellence through Adversity.
“2020 was a tough year for many in Papua New Guinea because of COVID-19. South Pacific Brewery was no different as we had to overcome many challenges as well. It was with regret that we had to cancel the event in 2020, due to COVID-19 impacting SP Brewery’s operations. Nevertheless, SP Brewery has been an avid supporter of sports for more than 65 years in the country recognizing the achievements and hard work of our local athletes and teams,” said SP Brewery Corporate Affairs Manager, John Nilkare.
“Sports has proven to be the glue that brings people from all walks of life together, including families of sponsors and supporters to celebrate achievements at the SP Sports Awards”.
With nominations open for the years 2019 to 2020, the SPSA Organising Committee anticipates submissions to flood in from all over Papua New Guinea. The nominations will recognize outstanding sporting achievements in 2019 and 2020 in the following categories:
1. Male Athlete of the Year – Best International Performance by a male athlete in 2019-2020.
2. Female Athlete of the Year – Best International Performance by a female athlete in 2019-2020.
3. Team of the Year – Best International Performance by a team in 2019-2020.
4. National Performance of the Year – Best National Performance by a male athlete, female athlete, or team in 2019-2020.
5. Community Sports Initiative – Best use of sport to help address social issues at a community level
6. Junior Male Athlete of the Year – Best Performance by a male athlete who was 18 years and younger in 2019- 2020.
7. Junior Female Athlete of the Year – Best Performance by a female athlete who was 18 years and younger in 2019- 2020.
8. Best Sportsperson with a Disability – For athletes with a physical or intellectual disability who performed outstandingly in 2019-2020.
9. Sports Official of the Year – For individuals who have excelled as a Coach, Referee/Umpire or Administrator in 2019-2020.
10. Sports Photo of the Year – For best photo taken in 2019 & 2020 capturing a sporting moment at any level of sport.
11. Sports Media Award – For media coverage of sports or a sporting event in 2019 by an individual, program, organisation or online.
12. PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD – to be voted on by public from the 3 finalists of the top 4 awards
(Male Athlete, Female Athlete, Team, National Performance)
13. Stan Joyce Award (Bi-Annual) – The award will recognize organisations that provide outstanding support through their continued partnership and collaboration with sport in PNG-This award will go to corporate companies under the criteria of:
1. Longevity, 2.Creativity, 3. Impact in the Community and 4. Achievement.
In his acknowledgment, Sir John Dawanincura, the President of PNGOC expressed his gratitude to SP Brewery for creating an avenue where athletes are recognized for their achievements in sports.
“SP Sports Awards not only recognises Athletes but the people who became part of their achievement as well. By this I mean the media, sports officials and the community at large,”
“The awards form the basis of showing how important it is to recognise sports men and women in PNG and PNGOC as a believer of sport and an enabler for sustainable and inclusive development for sports is proud to partner with SP Brewery and PNG Sports Federation in this journey,” Sir John added.
The SP Sports Awards is a joint collaboration between SP Brewery, the PNG Olympic Committee (PNGOC) and PNG Sports Foundation (PNGSF).
Participants are encouraged to nominate an athlete, coach, trainer or administrator for any of the categories.
Nomination forms can be collected from SP Brewery Head Office in Gordons, PNGOC Office and PNG Sports Foundation Office. Nomination forms are also available on the PNGOC website.
SP Sports Awards nomination will close on Wednesday April 7th 2021.